Monday, January 30, 2017

Cinnamon Snail.

Cinnamon Snail was a food struck staple in NYC and New Jersey for years, and I don't get tot hem as much since they have moved to Pennsy (a food court above Penn Station). However, they are churning out the same decadent offerings.

For those who aren't familiar with the brand, the term "Cinnamon Snail" refers to their signature cinnamon bun (the snail is the spiral). However, they reached their peak of fame with their bourbon creme brule doughnut, which won "best doughnut" at the Vendy awards one year. Not best vegan doughnut, mind you, juust best doughnut. As someone who has inhaled this particular pastry many times, it was well deserved. I can find no fault. It is sweetness perfected.

Their sandwiches are their bread and butter, of course their menu skews toward the spicy, with international flavors fused into most offerings. They always have one or two mild offerings, though, which are usually my picks. This week I passed up my favorite thanksgiving sandoo (not easily) for the maple mustard tempeh. To make it a themed meal, I topped it off with a maple bacon doughnut.

It was balanced and tasty, not too sweet or too salty. The garlic aioli did leave a greasy feel in my mouth, which has been the case from the first sandwich I ever sampled at their trucks. It was messy as all getout, and I ended up with a big ole mess on a Pennsy table. Which I cleaned up, of course. There was a bit of confusion when I ordered - if you order a drink be sure to grab it yourself, as they don't always tell you to do so.

The doughnut was no boubon creme brulee (they were out), but it was well made and delicious. I should mention that my food outing started at Grand Central Station. I originally descended to their foo court, where my usual routine was to grab a V is for Vegan slice at Two Boots. Turns out that they no longer have a location there, so I opted to walk across town and down from 42-34th to Penn. There were other nearby options (such as Two Tablespoons) but the area isn't really full of them. That would be a bit of a hike for a non-urbanite, especially in this weather (I wouldn't have chanced it without my new Hoodlamb coat).

My verdict? More than worth the hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment